How Much Time Should I Allow?
• Field Trip: Half Day = 2 hours / Full Day = 5 hours which includes a lunch break
• Elementary Outreach: Each session is 40 minutes with up to 6 sessions per day maximum
• Secondary Outreach: Each session is 50 minutes with up to 4 sessions per day maximum
• Puberty Education and Human Growth and Development Outreach: Each session is 2 hours in length with up to 2 sessions per day
• We encourage you to make a reservation.
What Kansas Standards are met through the programs?
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
• 1-LS1-1. Use materials to design a solution to a human problem by mimicking how plants and/or animals use their external parts to help them survive, grow, and meet their needs
• 3-LS3-2. Use evidence to support the explanation that traits can be influenced by the environment.
• 4-LS1-1. Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
• 4-LS1-2. Use a model to describe that animals receive different types of information through their senses, process the information in their brain, and respond to the information in different ways.
• MS-LS1-1. Conduct an investigation to provide evidence that living things are made of cells; either one cell or many different numbers and types of cells.
• MS-LS1-3. Use argument supported by evidence for how the body is a system of interacting subsystems composed of groups of cells.
• MS-LS1-8. Gather and synthesize information that sensory receptors respond to stimuli by sending messages to the brain for immediate behavior or storage as memories.
• MS-LS3-2. Develop and use a model to describe why asexual reproduction results in offspring with identical genetic information and sexual reproduction results in offspring with genetic variation.
• HS-LS1-4. Use a model to illustrate the role of cellular division (mitosis) and differentiation in producing and maintaining complex organisms.
• HS-LS4-1. Communicate scientific information that common ancestry and biological evolution are supported by multiple lines of empirical evidence.
Kansas and National Health Standards
• Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
• Students will analyze the influence of culture, media, technology and other factors on health.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting and decision-making skills to enhance health.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family and community health.
What is CPS?
Classroom Performance System (CPS) is an interactive audience response device that reinforces program content. Our Health Instructors may choose to implement this system when appropriate. Students utilize remotes to answer questions about information that was presented in their lessons. Teachers are given copies of the results upon request.
What If Distance is Prohibitive to Coming to the Center?
The Kansas Learning Center for Health can also come to your school! The Learning Center offers Outreach presentations for Pre-Kindergarten through Adult listed under Programs on the toolbar.
Where is the Kansas Learning Center for Health Located?
Halstead, Kansas. You can find us here.
What are My Lunch Options?
If your school is at the Center over the lunch hour, you are welcome to use our Brown Bag Lunch area in the basement of our facility, the city park or various local restaurants.
Do You Have a Cancellation Policy?
If you need to change your reservation, please do so at least 24 hours prior to your program time or the school will be charged 25% of the fee for late cancellation. If school is delayed due to weather conditions and you cannot arrive on time for your visit, please call 1-316-835-2662 to find out if we can accommodate your visit or if we need to reschedule. If school is cancelled for any reason and you will not be able to make your program time, please notify us. We will do our best to reschedule your visit.
What Resources do you have for Parents?
Our document on "Puberty Talking Points for Parents" provides helpful suggestions on communicating about puberty with your children. Preview an outline of our puberty program entitled Puberty Program. Also, our parents' program on puberty allows parents and educators the opportunity to preview and ask questions about the puberty and human growth classes prior to children’s' participation in the program. See our Adult and Parent Programs for more information.
Kansas Learning Center for Health
505 Main • Halstead, KS 67056
Mon – Fri 9am – 4pm (closed holidays)
©2016 Kansas Learning Center for Health. All rights reserved.
316.835.2662 | M–F 9am–4pm (closed holidays)