What Kansas Standards are met through the programs?
Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
• 1-LS1-1. Use materials to design a solution to a human problem by mimicking how plants and/or animals use their external parts to help them survive, grow, and meet their needs
• 3-LS3-2. Use evidence to support the explanation that traits can be influenced by the environment.
• 4-LS1-1. Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
• 4-LS1-2. Use a model to describe that animals receive different types of information through their senses, process the information in their brain, and respond to the information in different ways.
• MS-LS1-1. Conduct an investigation to provide evidence that living things are made of cells; either one cell or many different numbers and types of cells.
• MS-LS1-3. Use argument supported by evidence for how the body is a system of interacting subsystems composed of groups of cells.
• MS-LS1-8. Gather and synthesize information that sensory receptors respond to stimuli by sending messages to the brain for immediate behavior or storage as memories.
• MS-LS3-2. Develop and use a model to describe why asexual reproduction results in offspring with identical genetic information and sexual reproduction results in offspring with genetic variation.
• HS-LS1-4. Use a model to illustrate the role of cellular division (mitosis) and differentiation in producing and maintaining complex organisms.
• HS-LS4-1. Communicate scientific information that common ancestry and biological evolution are supported by multiple lines of empirical evidence.
Kansas and National Health Standards
• Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health-promoting products and services.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
• Students will analyze the influence of culture, media, technology and other factors on health.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting and decision-making skills to enhance health.
• Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family and community health.